Durban – As South Africa prepares to welcome international travellers once again, the Health Ministry has announced that 1767 new Covid-19 cases have been confirmed taking the country’s cumulative cases to 674 339.
Health Minister, Dr Zweli Mkhize 16 734 South Africans have succumbed to Covid-19-related illnesses with 67 more reported in the last 24 hours.
He said three people from Eastern Cape, 37 from KwaZulu-Natal, 11 from Gauteng, nine from Western Cape and seven from the Free State had lost their lives.
“We extend our condolences to the loved ones of the departed and thank the healthcare workers that treated the deceased patients. Our recoveries now stand at 608 112 which translates to a recovery rate of 90%. The cumulative number of tests conducted to date is 4 187 917 with 23 426 new tests conducted since the last report,” he said.
Earlier on Wednesday, ministers from the National Coronavirus Command Council gave insight as to what the easing of travel restrictions means for various sectors.
Ministers gave strict guidelines on measures that will be taken to ensure that the health and safety of locals.
Minister of International Relations and Cooperation, Naledi Pandor said the gradual re-opening of borders and ports of entry informed by a cautious approach meant that a limited number of ports of entry and borders will be opened from 1 October 2020.
“In re-opening these selected ports of entry and borders we will be guided by epidemiological and transmission rates both in South Africa and the traveller’s countries of origin,” she said.